Sunday, February 15, 2009

Twitterific

I was part of a 'webinar' last week at work. I learned all about social networking and how to use it for good and not evil ;)

Long story short- the web expert was in love with twitter. So I joined up. I gotta keep up with the young'uns, and let me tell you- facebook i kind of get, it's like gossiping without actually having to talk to anyone, like stalking without getting into trouble with the law, but twittter? Twitter is weird.

What you do is write tiny little updates of 140 characters or less. You could say what you're doing, put a link to soemthing cool or wax poetic. You follow other people's updates and they follow yours. I can see how this would be cool if my friend and family were actually on twitter, but there is no one, I repeat no one I know on twitter. You people aren't as cool as me. So instead I am following Barack Obama, Tina Fey, and Rainn wilson from the Office.

Obama hasn't posted since he got elected, Tina Fey had a caramello for lunch yesterday and Rainn Wilson had an amusing rant about how every npr reporter has a weird name. He is right- npr reporters have weird names. my theory? They were all teased, became nerds, which led them to a career at NPR.

But I digress, I was about to tell you the absolute weirdest part about twitter which is the moment when people start to follow you. Some folow me because I'm following them. (Like the Onion) Some are obvious- online marketers looking to schmooze. Others are obviously collecting followers- they have tens of thousands.... but then there are a few who are totally random. Just normal people who, for some inexplicable reason, want to follow my tweets. (That's what it's called when you post on Twitter)

I find this odd. Why do they care what I'm saying? They don't even know who I am. Sure, I'm witty, and smart, but still- what is their motivation? and how did they even find me?

I bet N***a is cringing while reading this- she's a little internet shy, but I'm going to carry on. It's a new frontier out there- one of tweets, and microblogging, and other assorted odd-ness and I an going to explore. Incidentally, if any of join twitter- let me know!

2 comments:

Andrea Rooks said...

I'd be afraid of revealing tweets about myself throughout the day ... they'd be something like: "Natalie pooped in the big potty for the second time today." "I got to write a blog post." "Natalie is sooooo adorable!" "Natalie just said 'daddy' three times in a row while watching 'Curious George.'" I'd be curious who'd want to follow that :)

Sarah said...

Natalie poops twice a day? I didn't know babies were so regular.