Sunday, February 1, 2009

I only watched the 4th quarter-turns out that was enough

There's something to love about an underdog, and we sure do. David and goliath, Rocky and the Russian, the rebel and imperial forces..... and for a short time today- the Arizona Cardinals.

Of course, they didn't end up winning, but it was a good fight and i found myself rooting for them just a little bit. There's something sort of exciting and romantic about being an underdog and i think that's why we're so obsessed with them. When you're the underdog you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You can walk away with your head held high either way- as long as you do your best.

I'll admit, I only caught the fourth quarter. Anthony and I weren't that into the bowl this year. We were going to watch it at Pat's house but a sick baby derailed that plan. so we went on a hike..got a snack.. showered.. changed.. and by the time I got home at 7 the game was still on. Man, are these things long.

And I found myself yelling at the tv like i'd been watching the whole game and had a couple beers in me, instead of what i was really doing at the moment- sitting on the floor in front of the tv rubbing Ollie's tummy with one hand and punching the sky with the other- and then when i thought the cardinals couldn't lose- the steelers scored on an awesome pass!

I think I'll only watch the 4th quarter of super bowl games from now on. There's less ads, more atual football, and come on, admit it- everything truly exciting that's going to happen will happen in the fourth quarter. I'm glad I turned it on.

1 comment:

Andrea Rooks said...

I think I'll only read your blog about the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl from now on...