Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I am not walking around dripping

I've often thought that reporters who cover health issues must be very unsettled people--if they follow all of their own advice. It gets very confusing.

Coffee is bad for you. Coffee is good for you. Dirt is bad for you. Dirt is good for you. the list goes on and on.... BTW, what does it mean that the first two examples I thought of were coffee and dirt? I think this says something about me....

Anyway- the latest news is that blowing your nose is bad for you. Well, if blowing my nose is wrong, then I'm gonna take the old cliche and say that I don't want to be right. What is this crap?

The claim is that blowing your nose creates so much pressure that it actually forces boogers and germs into your sinuses, which can then get infected. Hmmm, so my choices are blow my nose and risk possible infection or walk around sniffling every two seconds, dripping snot and instantly making myself a pariah everywhere I go.

I think I'll take option A.

This is just an example of what I think is some of the worst traits of the news industry- there is space to fill and damn if they aren't going to fill it. Though the piece the ny times did on coffee and caffeine and how good it is for you? That one is totally true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you leave journalism for just a few months and you're already turning on us.